The Old Man Who Read Love Stories (2001)
A man is forced to confront a dangerous jaguar and his own past through the sacrificial killing of the beast he has grown to love.
Based on the best selling novel by Chilean writer Luis Sepulveda, The Old Man Who Read Love Stories was adapted for the screen and directed by Rolf de Heer, and starred Richard Dreyfuss, Hugo Weaving and Timothy Spall. It was filmed in the jungles of French Guiana, South America in 1999 and was an official French-Australian co-production.
Awards, Festivals, Sales/Releases:
- Winner, Audience Award Most Popular Film, Adelaide Film Festival 2003
- Awarded the President’s Award for Artistic Vision & Execution, Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival 2001
- Special Jury Prize, Las Palmas de Gran Canarial
- Nomination, Best Film, Film Critics Circle of Australia 2004
- Nomination, Best Film, IF Awards 2004
- Nomination, Best Film, AFI Awards 2004
- Adelaide International Film Festival 2003
- Brisbane Film Festival 2001
- Melbourne International Film Festival 2001
- Nederlands Film Festival 2001
- Released in six territories including Australia, France, Spain and Denmark